Too much salt rises blood pressure and increases our risk of strokes, heart attacks and heart disease. The standard recommendation for salt is 1tsp or 5g per day. How much Salt are you eating? Don’t forget about all the hidden salts!!
Tips to help you to stick to 5g per day:
- Gradually add less salt to you recipes.
- Use Herbs, spices garlic and citrus as a replacement for salt to flavor your food.
- Take salt and salty sauces off the table to avoid family members to develop the habit of adding salt and sauces.
- Read food labels before you buy to help you choose less salty options.
- Drain and rinse canned veggies and beans.
- Eat more fresh fruits and veggies
For a specialised nutrition plan book an appointment with one of our dietitians today.